I have nothing against altar calls. Countless people began their walks with God by responding to an altar call to surrender their lives to Jesus Christ. Many have also received healing and breakthrough the same way. However, I must confess that I have sometimes felt a little embarrassed by some altar calls...
One time, I was at an annual Christian conference with over a thousand people in attendance. At some point during ministration, the preacher said: “If you are single and trusting God for a spouse raise your hand.” Several hands shot up around me. (I thought to myself “Gurl, you’ve got company!” 😊) I was still debating about raising mine, when he added “Now, come forward and kneel down for prayers.”
Yoooooo! Okay, I am as single as a Pope, but I was like: “Dear Lord Jesus, you know my relationship status and you are Omnipresent. Please, visit me right here where I am seated.” (Feel free to cast the first stone 😊)
Tag, you’re it! If you were at that Conference, which of the below biblical characters illustrates how you would have responded?
- Blind Bartimaeus: (Goes forward, kneels down, raises hands and shouts) “Jesus!!! Son of David, have mercy on me!!! OR “‘Man of God,’ please pray for me!!!”
- The man at the pool of Bethesda: “Let me tell you the complete story, many preachers have already prayed for me, yet nothing has changed.”
- The persistent widow: “I know I went forward for prayers yesterday and the day before, but I won’t stop until the preacher lays hand on me in prayers.”
- Nicodemus: “I’d just plan to meet the preacher privately for a one-on-one prayer session.”
- Woman with the issue of blood: Presses through the crowd with great determination … “I must reach out in faith.”
- The demon possessed man: Automatically falls down, twisting and shrieking.
- Hannah: Silently weeps and prays to God in deep agony. 😭🙏🏾
- Peter: Conceals ring finger and wears an attitude that translates to: “Do I look single to you?”
- The Pharisees and Sadducees: (Watches others snobbishly) : “Hmm, there goes Miss Glorious! Always responding to every altar call! When will she retire? God please give her a husband already, for peace sake!”; “Seriously? Is he anointed enough to pray for singles?”
- Thomas: “Unless I attend the wedding of someone he’s prayed for, there’s no way I’m raising a hand or going forward.”
Is there a unique way to respond to an altar call? No. Do you, unapologetically. But, respond as unto God, not man. Do not feel pressured, manipulated, or ashamed. Exercise your faith in your unique way. Everything that does not come from faith is sin. (Romans 14:23b) “And whatever you do, whether in word or deed, do it all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through him.” (Colossians 3:17)
God bless you,
The Christian Bachelorette
Thank you for stopping by today. Would you please leave a comment to share your thoughts? Would you please help share this post with any who might be encouraged by it? Don’t forget to subscribe and be notified of new posts every two weeks. Missed the last post? Don’t worry, catch up by clicking here 👉🏼👉🏼: “When on When?”