…Is there anything too hard for a song?
It was a serious bathroom emergency situation! The bathroom door was locked.🚻😱 Someone else was inside. A minute felt like eternity as I waited for my turn. I tried to pace it out, rebuking myself: “Why do I always wait till the very last minute!?” My stomach churned with terrible urgency. I dashed again towards the bathroom for the nth time. Still, the door was locked!!! I heard the toilet flush and exhaled: “Thank you, Lord! It’s finally my turn!” But then, a drizzling sound followed. “Wait, is that the shower? Are you serious right now? Are you really about to take a bath?”
I walked, rather delicately, back to my bedroom and I tried breathing exercises as I waited, tapping my feet on the carpet like a woman in labour. Then, I remembered a song I’d asked my sister to sing that beautiful morning in the delivery room when her contractions were forceful, longer and frequent. Although my bathroom situation wasn’t remotely comparable, it sure felt like it. So, I began singing the same song … 🤫🤐Don’t ask which. Let’s just say, is there anything too hard for a song?😊
There’s nothing like the right song at the right time. It changes everything. If nothing, it helps navigate the ever changing seasons of life. Songs have “been there for me” all my life – in my highest and lowest moments. Songs have also been there for me in 2020 y’all. Seriously, what hasn’t happened this year!?!? So many personal and global shocks; unexpected deaths of loved ones, economic hardship, locust swam in East Africa, global coronavirus pandemic, volcano in the Philippines, earthquakes in Turkey and the Caribbean, Australian bushfire, Kobe Bryant’s tragic death, floods in Indonesia, Ukrainian jetliner crash, communal riots in Delhi, BREXIT (and royal exit), the glorious transition of Ravi Zacharias and David Pawson, George Floyd’s murder, wide scale public manifestations, SpaceX launch … Phew!!! Honestly, if I woke up tomorrow and was told that all the mountains across the world had erupted, I’d think “Yea, well, #2020.”
So, how has my single self been coping with all that is #2020? Here’s is ONE simple open secret of mine – I have a collection of songs that inspire enthusiasm, a.k.a “fight songs.” 🎶🎶🎶 For now, I’m anchored on songs released in 2020. Has anyone else noticed the upsurge in heavily anointed song releases this year? 🙌🏽 I figured God must have inspired them for such a time as this. In no particular order, here’s my top ten 2020 fight songs.
- The Blessing (Kari Jobe and Cody Carnes)
- No one ever cares for me (Steffany Gretzinger)
- Graves into Gardens (Elevation Worship)
- Grace (Jonathan MacReynolds)
- All that Matters (G.U.C)
- Spirit of the Living God (Vertical Worship)
- The Father’s House (Cory Asbury)
- Famous For//I Believe (Jenn Johnson and Tauren Wells)
- Into The Sea//It’s Gonna Be Ok (Tasha Layton)
- At Midnight (It’s a 2019 album by Elevation, but doesn’t 2020 feel like midnight?).
So, if you don’t already have it, get you a fight song and sing your way through this season. As St. Augustine once said, “To sing is to pray twice.” 🙏🏾🙏🏾 This reminds of me three Bible verses:
– Acts 16:25a: “About Midnight, Paul and Silas were praying and singing hymns to God.”
– Psalms 104:33a “I will sing to the Lord ALL MY LIFE; I will sing praise to my God AS LONG AS I LIVE.”
– Ephesians 6:13 “Therefore put on the full armor of God, so that when the day of evil comes, you may be able to stand your ground, and after you have done everything, to stand.
God bless you,
Thank you for tuning in today. Please leave a comment, share your fight song, like/subscribe/follow my blog to be notified of new posts. Also feel free to share this on your social media platforms. If you missed the last post, click here